Opponents of Massachusetts' marijuana decriminalization ballot initiative just can't stop lying.
Here are some the lies they're flooding the media with, in a cynical attempt to scare voters into defeating the measure on November 4:
- Marijuana is more dangerous than alcohol or tobacco â because tobacco takes a long time to kill you and alcohol has health benefits. (Yes, you read that right.) That's according to Bristol County District Attorney Sam Sutter.
And here are four gems from the Massachusetts District Attorneys Association:
- âBy empowering drug dealers with decriminalization of marijuana, we would be empowering them to continue their violent ways: carrying and brandishing weapons; ripping off kids who get in over their heads; engaging in bloody turf wars; and indiscriminately assaulting or murdering when things don't go the way they want.â
- âMarijuana arrests are strongly associated with violent crime â dangerous criminals who make the wrong choice time and time again.â (In reality, research shows unmistakably that marijuana â unlike alcohol â is almost never the cause of aggression or violence.)
- âVery few arrests involving marijuana charges are for simple possession.â (In reality, according to FBI statistics, a full 89% of marijuana arrests are for simple possession.)
- The initiative âwill allow drug dealers to operate with impunity and make it easier for them to do business with your children.â
You and I know this is outrageous. Don't sit by and let law enforcement officials get away with this blatant lying and fear-mongering â help the campaign fund an aggressive response.
This is the first time in history that an initiative to decriminalize marijuana will be on any statewide ballot, and the campaign needs our help to fight back hard in the little time that remains. Will you please visit www.SensibleMarijuanaPolicy.org/donate to donate $10 or more today?
As always, thank you for your generous support of MPP and our allies.
Marijuana Policy Project