As autumn approaches in the United States, new subscribers are signing on to DRCNet, and our numbers have broken 6,900 and are rapidly approaching 7,000. Think about the letters hundreds of you have sent to Oklahoma (see alert summary below), and think how much impact you will have for drug policy reform when those hundreds turn into thousands and tens of thousands. We need your help to get there. Here are a few ways you can be involved:
-- END --
- Take Action: Keep watching for our alerts and write those letters, make those phone calls, let the powers that be know that we are there,
that we vote and that we want a new drug policy. Send copies of your letters, or just short notes letting us know how you are using our alerts and information; write to us at [email protected] or
just reply to any of our bulletins.
- Join DRCNet: About 1,050 of you have made a donation of some size to DRCNet. We need help from all of you to keep the organization healthy
and able to pay its staff -- and eventually to prospect for members, take out ads, the sky's the limit -- it depends on you. Your money goes further than you think, as each month we report to our major donors on how many new members have come on board and how much members have donated. Your financial support for DRCNet is a vote of confidence that
gives our donors confidence to invest in the organization -- making much more possible and enabling us to advance the cause further and further. DONATE $35 OR MORE AND GET A FREE COPY OF SHATTERED LIVES: PORTRAITS FROM AMERICA'S DRUG WAR -- to donate, use our form at https://www.drcnet.org/cgi-shl/drcreg.cgi
(encrypted transmission, especially for credit card donations), or http://www.drcnet.org/cgi-shl/drcreg.cgi
(no encryption, recommended you print it out and mail in with a check), or just send your check or money order to: DRCNet, 2000 P St. NW, Suite 615, Washington, DC 20036.
- Recruit: Our Rapid Response Team/Week Online e-mail list is free to all interested parties. Send your friends or local reporters to http://www.drcnet.org or http://www.stopthedrugwar.org to fill out our "quick-signup" form, and they will be in touch with the issue every week, getting all the most important news and action items in the war over the war on drugs. (Please don't sign them up without their prior permission.) Another great way to get the word out is to redistribute
our articles and get them reprinted online or in print -- see our reprint policy at the top of this issue
- Eyegive: Nearly 500 of you have signed up for the eyegive online fundraising program, raising $20 a day for DRCNet -- $6,000 a year
-- and growing fast! You can raise needed funds for the organization, without spending a penny, just by visiting http://www.eyegive.com and clicking on the page 1-5 times, any day
that you can -- one person pointing and clicking for just a few seconds each day can earn DRCNet up to $125 a year! Point your web browser to http://www.eyegive.com/html/ssi.cfm?CID=1060 to automatically select DRCNet as your recipient non-profit.
- Gather Information: Let us know what's going in the drug war and drug reform efforts in your region. Events, incidents, legislation, local organizations, all of this will help us make DRCNet maximally useful. Thank you for your participation!
Issue #60, 9/25/98
DRCNet Nearing the 7,000 Mark -- Your Voice Needed | Alert: Congress Considers Jailing Children With Adults | Alert: from the Andean Information Network | On the Web | Canadian Hemp Shop Bust Aided by US Agents | Hemp BC Business License Hearing Scheduled for Next Week | Media Note: CBS Drama to Highlight Medical Marijuana | Volunteers Needed for Washington, DC Medical Marijuana Initiative | New Study Indicates That Cannabis Relieves Pain | Drug War Militarization Bill Passes House Over Objections of Colombia | Background on Juvenile Justice Bill | Massacre in Ensenada, Mexico Hits Close to US | Minnesota Marijuana Law Faces Constitutional Challenge | Human Rights Activists Accuse Russian Police of Planting Drugs | National Conference on Prisons This Weekend | Editorial: Repentance for the Drug War
Mail this article to a friend
Send us feedback on this article
This issue -- main page
This issue -- single-file printer version
Drug War Chronicle -- main page
PERMISSION to reprint or
redistribute any or all of the contents of Drug War Chronicle (formerly The Week Online with DRCNet is hereby
granted. We ask that any use of these materials include proper credit and,
where appropriate, a link to one or more of our web sites. If your
publication customarily pays for publication, DRCNet requests checks
payable to the organization. If your publication does not pay for
materials, you are free to use the materials gratis. In all cases, we
request notification for our records, including physical copies where
material has appeared in print. Contact: StoptheDrugWar.org: the Drug Reform Coordination Network,
P.O. Box 18402, Washington, DC 20036, (202) 293-8340 (voice), (202)
293-8344 (fax), e-mail [email protected]. Thank
Articles of a purely
educational nature in Drug War Chronicle appear courtesy of the DRCNet
Foundation, unless otherwise noted.